Friday, February 13, 2015

My Mirror

written in the early '70's



My Mirror



There must be a reason

For ‘tis not the same season

I set and ponder

And let my mind to wonder

Of things I’ve done in the past.

Most of them didn’t last

Then I think what have I done with my life?

I’ve live it with keen edge, like a knife,

But a waste it has been

For nothing have I time to spend.

I wonder is it really me

Or just a reflection I see

Am I the one who has wasted all this

God, I hope that all isn’t missed.

I’ve enjoyed of what I have done

Or was it just superficial fun?

Have I made my mark

Or is the place behind my name stark?

All these thoughts I have to ponder

It tells me thing I want not to know

And shows things I want not to show.

I’ve got to stop worrying and let me be me

Not caring much what others see.

My life is mine to live

And all I want is to be loved and to give.

To make someone happy is my only goal

This is what I tell with heart and soul.

Now I look at me so near

I see what I have to fear.

My mirror tells what I don’t want to see

It shows what others see in me.

Jmb 12/25/71cs



1 comment:

  1. Wow -- you were very introspective for a 20-year-old. It would be interesting to read an updated version of this from your current perspective.

    ReplyDelete